Sunday 14 January 2007

Title race hots up

14th January 2007

Alarm going crazy at 11am this morning, I woke up with an expectancy that our match this morning was to be called off. I was surprised that it wasn't and a little bit annoyed as I was knackered! With yesterday's match called off and today's match taking place just a few hundred yards down the road from it on the most overused pitches in the region, I was mentally ready to text all parents and dive back into my slumber! It wasn't to be!

Got to the match and leaders Ladywood had surprisingly hammered rivals Oak Tree 5-0 and were now 6 points clear of us. 2nd place Ripley had bottom club JCF and were guarenteed the 3 points so we had to win to stay in the hunt for top spot. We got off to a good start, playing well and taking a deserved lead ten minutes in when my skipper JJ pounced on a loose ball after a save from the keeper and stuck it into the emtpy net. We controlled the first half but in the last couple of minutes of the half a mix up between the defender and keeper proved costly as the keeper failed to collect the ball and the defender who was under pressure put through his own net.

Orders at half time were to keep up the pressure but disaster struck 5 minutes into the second half as we gave away a penalty and were 2-1 down. We had to improve, which we did. Playing good football for the majority of the second half we got our reward when with ten minutes to go, constant pressure on the oppositions goal saw us pull level and then soon after take the lead, which we hung onto. Surely we can take advantage of this with another three points next week and hopefully get closer to the top.

1. Ladywood Pl 15 Pt 34
2. Ripley Pl 15 Pt 33
3. Welbeck Pl 15 Pt 31

Had a quick drink of celebration with the parents after the match before meeting Emma at her mam's for Sunday dinner. Was a fairly boring evening after that. Normally tends to be as I 'look forward' to going to work on Monday. Watched some program for like an hour about Wilderbeasts! Thats how bored I was. I do find them funny though especially putting my own commentary over the top. Told myself to get an early night then was surprised when I then told myself to shut up soon after! It was gone 2am so it'll be another fun day at work tomorrow...

No comments: